Contact Benchmark Environmental Engineering for professional odor testing and detection in San Jose, if you’re concerned about a strange odor present in your home or work environment. Odors are both measurable and quantifiable using standard practices by the American Society of Testing and Materials, and at Benchmark we employ exacting standards to achieve accurate results.
Getting To The Source
With a professionally-conducted chemical odor analysis, you can stop wondering about the lingering smells and start acting on eradicating them at the source.
Some examples of common sources of chemical odors include:
- Gas leaks – This chemical odor can permeate the air, making it hard to determine the exact source, though the smell is usually recognizable.
- Mold – Musty smelling in nature, mold often makes itself known by its smell before it ever becomes visible.
- Cigarette smoke – Aside from being frustrating to smell, cigarette smoke also contains harmful chemicals, including benzene.
- Electrical system failures – Burning wires, overheating components…poorly installed or insulated systems can release noxious odors as they begin to fail.
- VOCs – These Volatile Organic Compounds are found in countless products and produce odorous emissions over time. Paints, adhesives, sealants, furniture, and many more standard “household” items emit these chemicals.
- Cleaning chemicals and solvents – If you occupy a building with other tenants, you may have less control over the chemicals used in nearby spaces. These chemicals can travel through airways and various shafts, affecting people who are not even in the immediate vicinity.
- Animals – If an animal was trapped in a crawlspace, wall or ceiling, inhabitants might notice the smell of animal feces and urine. Eventually, they may notice the smell of decomposing organic material if the animal was unable to escape.
Odor Investigations & Your Health
Exposure to moderate levels of certain chemicals can cause short-term, acute symptoms such as eye and respiratory irritation, headaches, dizziness, visual disorders, and memory impairment. Long-term exposure can be increasingly detrimental to your health and certain chemicals such as benzene and methylene chloride are considered carcinogenic. This is why Benchmark Environmental Engineering in San Jose, urges you to have odor testing performed if you have any concerns about unfamiliar smells detected in your home or office. Contact us today, and we’ll connect you with our team of experts.