At Benchmark Environmental Engineering, we want to help you avoid costly problems by offering our San Jose, CA area homeowners these handy tips for preventing mold in your home. Mold can cause a lot of structural damage and aggravate a whole host of health problems.
When it comes to household mold, prevention is the best possible option you have at your disposal.
What Causes Mold Problems?
Moisture is required for mold to take root and thrive indoors. Water can enter your home in many possible ways. Flood damage is a well-known cause, but it is far from the only way you can end up with a mold problem.
Anywhere there is a moisture problem, mold is likely not too far behind.
- Poor Exterior Drainage
- Leaky Roofs
- Leaky Windows
- Plumbing Leaks
- Noticeable Condensation
- Leaky Appliances
- Damp Rugs/Carpeting
- Unvented Showers, Cooking & Laundry
Tips For Reducing Household Moisture
Mold is a common household problem even when there has been no flooding. Many homeowners are surprised to learn that they have a mold problem. Some steps can be taken that will significantly aid you in your mold prevention efforts.
- Ensure Landscaping Allows Water To Drain Away From The House
- Repair Leaking Roofs, Windows, & Doors ASAP
- Insulate Adequately To Prevent Indoor Condensation
- Repair Or Replace Leaking Appliances & Plumbing
- Ensure Your Dryer Efficiently Vents Moist Air Outside
- Hang Wet Bath Rugs & Towels To Dry After Bathing
- Use Exhaust Fans When Cooking & Showering To Reduce Steam
- Open Windows Frequently On Dry Days & Close Them On Rainy Days
- Maintain Indoor Temperatures Between 50 & 80 Degrees
- Clean & Dust On A Regular Basis To Remove Mold Food Sources
- Disinfect Floors & Walls Around Sinks, Tubs, Windows & Patio Doors
- Wipe Down Counters & Windowsills Where Water Accumulates
- Limit Houseplants To A Responsible Number
- Use A Personal Dehumidifier
- Thoroughly Dry Any Spills On Carpeting
- Do Not Overfill Closets Or Storage Areas
A Little Mold Grows Into Big Problems
Mold can cause structural damages to your home or building. Property damage repairs and replacements add up quickly. If mold reaches your HVAC system, spores will be blown all over the house each time your system runs.
Signs You May Have A Mold Problem
There are signs that you should watch for that can indicate a mold problem. If you notice any of these signs, consult our environmental specialists right away to begin mold testing. The earlier we uncover the issue, the faster you can take care of it effectively and thoroughly.
- Visible Mold Growth
- Stained/Discolored Floors, Ceilings, Or Walls
- Musty Or Earthy Smell Anywhere In The Home
- Chronic Damp Surface Areas Or Condensation
- Noticeable Water Stains Or Water Damage
Health Symptoms To Look Out For
If you or someone in your home is sensitive or allergic to mold, watch out for breathing problems or allergic reactions. It’s crucial to have a mold inspection done as soon as possible to pinpoint problem sites so you can reduce the possibility of further health effects and start feeling better.
- Allergic Reactions
- Asthma Attacks
- Respiratory Problems
- Nasal & Sinus Congestion
- Burning, Watery Eyes
- Dry Hacking Cough
- Sore Throats
- Shortness Of Breath
- Skin Irritation, Hives Or Rashes
It’s vital to have professional testing if you suspect you have a mold problem. Repeat testing after mold remediation will provide peace of mind that the issue has been resolved thoroughly.
Professional Mold Testing In California
With over 20 years of experience in environmental testing and inspection, Benchmark Environmental Engineering understands the importance of mold control for home and business owners. We offer a wide range of services for San Jose, CA residents, including mold testing and inspection.
Contact us today to schedule your mold testing services.