Lead inspections and risk assessments are important services that homeowners and business owners should consider, to protect family, customers, and employees from poisoning. However, you may not be aware of some key differences between these two services. Benchmark Environmental Engineering is an experienced provider of lead inspections and risk assessments in the San Jose, CA area. We are here to help you understand the differences between each type of service and determine which might be right for you.
Lead Inspections Vs. Assessments—What Are The Differences?
- Lead inspections are conducted to identify and assess the level of lead-based paint in a structure.
- Risk assessments are conducted to identify potential hazards associated with lead and recommend actions to mitigate any risks.
- A lead inspection is a requirement for all pre-1978 housing, while risk assessments are not mandatory.
- Lead inspections are more comprehensive than risk assessments, as they include sampling and laboratory analysis.
- Risk assessments can be used in conjunction with other types of environmental investigations.
Lead Inspections Can Save Lives
Inspections can determine the presence of lead-based paint in a building built before 1978. During a property sale, these inspections are typically required by law to ensure that the structure is safe for future occupants. Both residential and commercial buildings can contain lead-based paint, so businesses also need to have older properties inspected. Here are just a few reasons you should have an inspection performed on your home or business.
- The damage caused by heavy metal poisoning is irreversible.
- Even low levels of exposure can be hazardous, especially for children and pregnant women.
- If you live in an older home, there is a good chance that it contains lead-based paint. If the paint begins to flake or chip, lead can contaminate the air, dust, and soil.
- Plumbing materials, such as pipes and solder, can also contain lead, increasing the potential for exposure.
Introduction To Lead Risk Assessments
On the other hand, risk assessments are conducted to evaluate the potential for exposure in a workplace. These assessments are typically recommended for businesses that work with lead-based materials or have employees who may be exposed to this dangerous heavy metal regularly.
- Protect your staff and visitors from the dangers of lead exposure.
- Identify any potential sources of lead in your building.
- Find out if your workplace is at risk for contamination.
- Learn how to prevent future exposure.
- Get information on treatment options if anyone has been exposed.
Keeping Individuals Safe
As you can see, inspections and risk assessments are essential tools that can help protect people from lead poisoning. However, there are some critical differences between these two services. Inspections are typically required by law to ensure that buildings for sale are safe for subsequent occupants. On the other hand, risk assessments are voluntarily conducted to evaluate the potential for exposure in a workplace.
Schedule A Lead Inspection Or Risk Assessment Today
Are you a homeowner or business owner in the San Jose, CA area? With our comprehensive lead inspection and risk assessment services, Benchmark Environmental Engineering can help you protect your loved ones, employees, and customers from poisoning. Contact us today to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment.